Moku:Lab shows up as COM port instead of RNDIS
This article details steps to fix an issue with Moku:Lab that causes it to be registered as a COM port
Moku:Lab can connect to the Moku Windows app via a simple USB cable; no ethernet or WiFi is needed. For Moku:Lab devices operating on firmware versions prior to 580 and software versions below 3.0, establishing a USB connection requires the utilization of RNDIS ("Remote Network Driver Interface Specification"). For more information about how to connect to Moku:Lab, please refer to this article.
Occasionally, the Windows Device Manager may identify Moku:Lab as a COM port device instead of the RNDIS, resulting in the devices not appearing in the Moku App. In such instances, the installation of an RNDIS driver becomes necessary.
1. The RNDIS driver can be download here (external link) and it is the 6th driver on the list. Please be aware that this website and associated driver downloads are kept updated by Microsoft and Liquid Instruments has no part in the driver updates.
2. The downloaded '.cab' file contains a 'rndis.cat' file and a 'RNDIS.inf' file. Select both files, right-click, and select Extract.…
3. Open Device Manager on your computer, go to the COM Port that your Moku device is recognized, then right-click it to open Properties. Note that your (COM3) Port may be different.
4. Under the tab Driver in Properties window, select Update Driver.
5. Select Browse my computer for drivers.
6. Select Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
7. Select Have Disk.
8. Click Browse and navigate to the driver you downloaded.
9. Select the USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget and click Next to load the driver.
10. A successful update of the driver will then be indicated.
11. After the driver update is complete, Moku:Lab will be detected in the Network adapters as “USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget”. Note that your device name and numbering may be different. Now you should be able to connect to your Moku:Lab in Moku desktop app.
If you are still encountering issues, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.